Friday, February 17, 2012

Green or Fiend

There is a problem with some companies tricking people into buying products that say they are economically friendly without the product actually being so. These companies try to appeal to people who like buying economically friendly products while their products are not actually economically friendly. Their products will say Eco-friendly on the box or container, but do not actually do anything to help the earth or limit waste. Eco-promising is when a company provides information about why their products are economically friendly and how they benefit the earth. Eco-promising can help a consumer be more aware of what they are buying so that they do not end up buying a product with a meaningless guarantee.

First off, Greenwashing is a term that is used to describe the practice of a company who tries to claim that they are an economically responsible figure and marathon. The 10 signs of green washing mentioned by the Greenwashing Guide made me laugh; but more importantly I realize that I have seen products with these claims on them before. These companies try to make it seem like they have great products that are great for the earth, but in most cases they are made in non Eco-friendly ways or they try to compare themselves to companies and products that are dreadful. What is also surprising is how new the concept of green washing actually is. Greenwashing wasn't a term that caught on until around 1990 and wasn't added to the dictionary until 1999.

 This chair is from crate and barrel and they claim that it is environmentally friendly. They tell us that it was Eco-friendly constructed and that it is made from a certified sustainable hardwood. They have also stated that it is upholstered with 100% cotton; in last weeks blog I talked about how cotton is not as sustainable as synthetic fibers because of all the dyeing and water used to make textiles from it. All of their claims are very vague and do not really tell us how the products are environmentally friendly. I feel that they are just trying to target customers who feel they should be environmentally responsible.

 This is a couch from The Sofa Company and they have a whole page on hier website that tells you all of the ways they are environmentally friendly. They even tell you how you can customize your furniture and how your choices can make it even more environmentally friendly. I thought this was a good company and they are being more responsible than Crate and Barrel. (http://www.thesofaco.com/furniture-articles/Eco-Friendly-Green-Sofa-Options.aspx)

After all of the readings for this week and my scavenger hunt, I feel that it is important for consumers to be aware of the products that they are buying. Knowing how and why a product is economically friendly is just as important as shopping Eco-friendly products. Making the Eco-friendly choice does no good if you aren't actually buying the right products. It is also good to think not only about the product itself, but the packaging it comes in and the technology that produced it. I think it is important to be aware of our products and how they are made.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, Your blog was very short and to the point. It provided a lot of great information on how companies mislead people into believing they have purchased "eco-friendly" products. I really enjoyed your examples and pictures. It's interesting to see that some companies put more effort into explaining how their products are eco-friendly. Also, I liked how people need to look at all aspects of the product including how they are packaged. I think you could have used a little bit more references in your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelsey, I feel very strongly about how a product is packaged. I know that they want to keep the product safe, but sometimes I think they use way to much packaging. I find myself becoming a box hoarder because I hate throwing tons of cardboard in the recycling bin. I also agree that I should cite my sources better. That is something I really need to work on.

      Delete
  2. Hey Laura, I appreciate your bluntness about the problem with organizations feeding lies to consumers pertaining to their activities. I love that you refer back to your last blog discussing the sustainability of natural cotton. The Sofa Company sounds like are really cool consumer-friendly place to shop considering their willingness to assist shoppers on making a smart, informed decision when making purchases, or customizations. I agree with Kelsey, I would have liked to see more credible sources used to break up your opinions. I’m curious to know how technology used to produce a product can be harmful to the environment. Would you please share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like The Sofa Company and when I buy a house I plan on shopping with them. I agree with both of you, I should have cited my resources better. I also should have talked a lot more about eco-promising. I really wish that Crate and Barrel would give better information on their eco-friendly materials because I love that green chair.

    ReplyDelete