Friday, March 9, 2012

Jars and Art

In my search for good ways to improve how everyone can be sustainable, I discovered articles on a family from San Francisco(The Johnson's) who literally creates only one jarful of trash a year. They take jars and refillable bags into stores and  uses them to buy and store cuts of meat and dry products at the grocery store. They also refuse products that come in packaging. This is the only amount of trash that the family has created in about a six month period. Bea Johnson, The Zero Waste HomeI think that this is going to become a lifestyle that more people will choose in the coming years. (If you want to read more about this family, here is the link http://earth911.com/news/2011/04/13/zero-waste-johnson-family/)

According to T.E. Graedel, who wrote Industrial Ecology, the concept of industrial ecology is basically the search for a balance between humanity and our surroundings. It is how people acheive industrial processes, extract resources, and then transform those resources into products that meet human needs. He also says that one of the most important factors in industrial ecology is that it rejects the creation of waste. He also hinted that overpopulation is part of the issue as well.

In the reading, How Will We Conduct Business, we also are told about industrial ecology and how manufacturers and humans in general should try to work with "substances that nature would recognize and be able to assimilate." I think that this is good good advice in some ways, although I do still favor synthetic fibers over most natural fibers. However, plastic is definitely one of those substances we should try to eliminate. I try to keep both of these readings in mind while coming up with an interior product I think would appeal to zero waste lifestyles.

I feel that a good concept would be to try and implement a grocery store section for people who have a lifestyle like the Johnson's. This section would be full of bulk food dispensers that people could get cereal, candy, or other dry foods from. There would also be glass jars full of condiments, peanut butter, and other commonly jarred items and they could be refilled for a certain, cheaper price next time the needed refilled. This lifestyle concept was not developed by me, but I envision that this is what grocery stores would do if this lifestyle does catch on. I think this is a shopping experience of the future if it does.

There were several good principles in the readings this week, but one that really stuck out to me was use waste as a resource. I would make sure any resource used in my product was directly from another product and kept in the recycling loop. Another principle that I think would be good for my product is get materials that have more than one end use. I think the main materials I would use would be wood and metal, wood and metal can be transformed into many different products with many different end uses. You can cut both materials into any shape and size you need' and you can also drill holes if need be as well. They are also very easy to re-purpose after each product use.

When deciding what would be a good interior product for these families who live the zero waste lifestyle, I thought it would be  fun to create them an art-piece that also serves as storage for their jarred goods. The art-piece would be a frame with shelves that would hang on the wall and would have lots of room for the jars on it. I drew a picture to show what it would look like and the frames could come in different sizes; although the shelves on it would be 5 inches deep. I imagine that the frame and the shelves would be from re-purposed or recycled frames and boards that come from unwanted furniture or anything being recycled.










8 comments:

  1. Hey Laura,

    I really like what you found out about the Johnson family and how they are living a sustainable life. I also like that you created an art piece to help the Johnson organize their jars. From my understanding you are implying that your concept is to have more people live the way the Johnson family lives. You want to create a world that uses less packaging, right? In Stillwater, it is very difficult to find a grocery store that meets those requirements, however there are grocery stores in Oklahoma City that have implemented this concept. Wholefoods is one of the leading organic stores as well as Sunflower Farmers Market, and the Farmers Market. While living in New York this summer, it made me realize that we use more packaging for food than anything else. However, I think that the idea of using jars versus packaging would help our environment move towards a sustainable future. I'm not in expert when it comes to food, but do you think it would be hard for companies to keep their dry food from becoming stale because it wouldn't be packaged? Do you think the idea of having bulks of food would lead to food contamination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia,

      You address some relevant questions that I would be happy to explain. Have you ever been to Candyapolis in Quail Springs mall in Oklahoma City? They have a whole setup of candies and chocolates that are in bins and dispensers and they have never had food contamination or problems with their setup. Also there are parts of Texas that have a store called Fiesta and they have an aisle with the same setup for granola, nuts, and other dry foods. I think these are good examples of setups that I imagined and contamination does not seem to be a problem with them. I am not sure how they keep the granola and stuff from becoming stale, but they obviously have a way of keeping it fresh in the store and I believe the Johnson's use cloth bags as well as the jars.

      I am not saying that all grocery stores make this change over night. I think it would be a gradual change for both people and grocery stores. It would probably have to start in big cities and gradually move to smaller ones. I hope this helped!

      Laura

      Delete
    2. Laura,

      You did a great job answering my questions. While reading your responds to Kelsey, I never thought about how easy it would be for people to only purchase the amount of food they would need for the week. I think this could be on of your best selling point when trying to pursue people to live like the Johnson's because it would allow people to only consume smaller amounts of food rather than buying large bags of granola or nuts that end up going to waste.

      Delete
    3. Yeah my sister does this with the dry goods because she lives in Austin, TX and it is easier to do that there. I am also not saying that we should go completely as far as the Johnson's, but if we could find a balance that created less waste and bought less things with packaging than I think we would have an impact on the increasing space of landfills. Balance of course being the key word because I think there is potential inconveniences of completely converting to zero waste.

      Delete
  2. Laura,
    Great find on the Johnson family! I think it is great that some families are able to live that lifestyle and teach others their ways. Buying this way may be only possible if one goes shopping for food multiple times a week. What do you think the solution would be for those who live 30 or more miles away from the closest grocery store and usually buy food in bulk. Also, how might one freeze certain foods in a glass jar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larissa,

    When you asked how to freeze glass jars I realized I forgot to address some important issues with this lifestyle. There are tapered wide-mouth mason jars that are specifically designed for freezing. Also, I grew up living 20 miles from town and we would always make lists of what we needed and go to the grocery store and anywhere else we needed once a week or occasionally twice a week if it was a busy week. I think this lifestyle could be done only going once a week, however probably not any longer than once a week. I also think this lifestyle would not be picked up by everyone, I mean there are still tons of people who make no effort at all to recycle. I do think that If 1 in 4 people who live in big cities make this lifestyle change than it could greatly help with our waste problems. I hoped this helped, I sometimes have a hard time expressing what I am trying to say in writing.

    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    Awesome find! I think the Johnson family should be an example for every family. I really enjoyed your grocery store concept and the frame you created is very useful and smart. I could see myself using it in the future! How do you think people will respond to using bulk food dispensers? I know Olivia mentioned food contamination, but do you think there could be any other issues with these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey,
      My sister lives in Austin, TX and people in Austin who shop at Fiesta seem to like it because they can get the exact amount they will need for the week. That is one of my sisters favorite sections in that store. I think an issue with them could possibly be employees having to constantly refill them if more people start to prefer buying out of them compared to packaged granola, nuts, and cereals.

      Delete